Learn the art and science of managing difficult clients.
What are the goals and purposes of client psychology?
• To strengthen and improve the communication, when needed, using appropriate communication strategies.
• To adapt the lawyer's approach, according to the type of client, and their specific needs.
• To increase the satisfaction of both parties (please note that there is no conflict of interest here).
• To decrease client-related stress. Working with difficult clients, or any clients, who are in a difficult situation is simply stressful. By using appropriate approaches and tools, this stress can be lowered.
Content of the course
This course will discuss the fundamentals of relational psychology, crisis psychology, and crisis management. It will also provide concrete approaches for managing different types of difficult clients.
Furthermore, a framework for the cultivation of effective working alliances will be introduced. It consists of three parts:
1 . Assess clients.
2. Establishing the working alliance.
3. Maintenance of the working alliance.
How do you address unrealistic expectations of the client? How can you understand the different emotional states and behavior, and managing them adequately and constructively? How do you approach and work with clients in crisis? How do you convey legally critical information and when in the process do you communicate it? How do you manage and work with angry, depressive, and psychopathic clients? These are some of the central questions that this course addresses.
Learn to identify and manage difficult clients in lawyering
Here are some examples of warning signs that are discussed in the course:
• The client without boundaries
• The angry client
• The legal dogmatist
• The client with attention deficits
• The psychopathic client
Goal of the course
The participants will increase their knowledge and skill set with regards to:
• Psychological aspects of the collaboration between lawyer and client
• Clients in crisis and how to manage them
• Client typologies and proper approaches of them
• How you can create effective and goal oriented working alliances for the benefit of lawyer and client alike.
1 . Learn best practices for managing difficult clients, including the angry client, the legal dogmatist, the psychopath, and many other "difficult" client types.
2. Get practical strategies for strengthening and enhancing communication with clients who do not easily accept, or understand, information.
3. Learn the best approaches for working with clients who are under strong pressure, suffer from trauma, etc.Indepth sections on custody cases and decedent cases1. Custody cases
Parental Alienation, working with children, the psychology of divorce.2. Decedent estates
The psychodynamics of families and siblings in decedent estates, leading and managing the division, emotions and money.